Hill’s Pet Nutrition is a $2.3 Billion, global division of Colgate-Palmolive Company and the maker of Prescription Diet, Science Diet, Ideal Balance and Healthy Advantage brand pet food. Our mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationship between people and their pets by providing the best, leading-edge pet nutrition technology, products and expertise to pet owners, veterinary professionals and other key pet professionals worldwide. Our company is a globally recognized Best Place to Work.
Location: Richmond, Indiana, United States
No Relocation Assistance Offered
At Hill’s we have a purpose. Every day around the world, we transform the lives of millions of pet families through pioneering innovation, amazing nutrition, and the best and brightest people. If you’re interested in work that matters, fueled by passion for pets, we invite you to apply to our Maintenance Technician position.
As a Maintenance Technician for Hill’s Pet Nutrition, you will be responsible for the support of production lines, equipment, and the facility. Must be able to perform preventative maintenance, troubleshoot, maintain and repair operating equipment during production and breakdowns. Will also work with others to achieve factory business objectives of safety, productivity, customer service, quality, cost and environmental protection.
The primary accountabilities of the role include troubleshoot, repair, and preventative maintenace as required to ensure equipment reliability; assist with root cause analysis to identify reasons for failures and breakdowns; review electrical and pneumatic schematics during troubleshooting, repair and project work; and will work closely with the operators to support production and transfer skills to Operation Technicians.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Troubleshoots, repair and preventive maintenance (PM) as required to ensure equipment reliability.
- Complete work orders as scheduled and document in SAP in timely manner.
- Reviews equipment instructions, blueprints, electrical, and pneumatic schematics to ascertain test specifications, procedures, objectives, test equipment, nature of technical problem, and possible solutions such as part redesign, substitution of material or parts, or re-engineering of parts or subassemblies.
- Assists Operations and Engineering teams with root cause analysis to identify reasons for equipment failures and breakdowns.
- Records test procedures and results, numerical and graphical data, and makes recommendations for changes in product or test method.
- Fabricates machine parts as needed.
- Works with teams and focus resources, planner scheduler and assures correct PM's are in SAP.
- Helps maintain spare parts inventory and restocking inventory for the plant as needed.
- Audits work order completion and effectiveness.
- Trains and assists in the changeovers of automated equipment.
- Accurately and fully completes all regulatory and compliance related documentation and procedures.
- Participates in structured group or team activities related to line/area performance improvement e.g. autonomous maintenance (AM), housekeeping, problem solving etc.
- Works with operators to support production and transfer skills to Operation technicians.
- Understand and comply with Hill’s policies, safety standards, Good Manufacturing Practices (GMPs) and Food Safety. Identify and report Food Safety issues to management.
Basic qualifications include:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- 2+ years of industrial Maintenance experience working in a manufacturing plant
- Ability to bend, climb, crawl, work in confined spaces, work in hazardous condition spaces, work in extreme weather conditions, use hazardous materials and lift up to 50 lbs on continual basis. Must also be able to work at heights of up to 300 ft.
- Practical knowledge of basic maintenance shop equipment
- Problem assessment, problem solving and basic math skills
- Intermediate computer skills in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint
Preferred qualifications include:
- Vocational school or technical certificate in an industrial related field
- Associates degree in a related field
- 5+ years manufacturing or similar experience with an emphasis in industrial maintenance, mechanics and electronics
- Experience using electronic maintenance work order systems
- Previous SAP experience
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Previous similar manufacturing experience (food, pet food, pharmaceuticals)
- Ability to work an off-shift work schedule that includes weekends.
Expected Areas of Skills
- Perform preventative maintenance, troubleshoot, maintain and repair operating equipment during production and breakdowns.
- Review blueprints, project instructions, electrical & pneumatic shematics during troubleshooting, repair or project work.
- Utilize maintenance shop equipment to include drill press, lathe, mill, welding, etc.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.