Hill’s Pet Nutrition is a $2.3 Billion, global division of Colgate-Palmolive Company and the maker of Prescription Diet, Science Diet, Ideal Balance and Healthy Advantage brand pet food. Our mission is to help enrich and lengthen the special relationship between people and their pets by providing the best, leading-edge pet nutrition technology, products and expertise to pet owners, veterinary professionals and other key pet professionals worldwide. Our company is a globally recognized Best Place to Work.
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Relocation Assistance Offered Within Country
At Hill’s we have a purpose. Every day around the world, we transform the lives of millions of pet families through pioneering innovation, amazing nutrition, and the best and brightest people. If you’re interested in work that matters, fueled by passion for pets, we invite you to apply to our District Manager position.
Hill's Pet Nutrition is seeking a District Manager for our Veterinary Sales Channel in the Upper Midwest district. If you are passionate about our company mission, we invite you to apply to our position, which will be based out of your home office in or around Minneapolis, MN. The position includes up to 50% travel, and the district includes Minnesota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, Northeast Illinois (to Peoria) including Norhtern Chicago Suburbs
This position will lead and manage a team of 9-14 Territory Managers focused on achieving the business objectives within our veterinary clinics and hospitals in assigned geographies. The District Manager (DM) is accountable for the development of their team and to grow district market share, achieve volume and dollar sales plan (LE), expense plan (NVO), improve retail fundamentals through building customer relationships, sales and promotion execution, merchandising support, and overall delivery of Hill’s services and products. Responsibilities include:
Field Management and Coaching:
- Define objectives and priorities for Territory Managers (TMs) in alignment with regional/local priorities and communicate regularly to ensure clear expectations Establish and monitor individual performance against sales objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for all TMs on a weekly basis
- Coach all TMs at least quarterly or more often as required. Follow coaching protocol to ensure excellent coverage and 6Ps execution, supporting TMs in development of required competencies to grow sales, Brand Recommended Most Often (BRMO) and market share: customer understanding, identifying customers’ opportunities and developing customer plans, selling and negotiating, developing customer partnerships.
- Motivate team and recognize good performance.
- Develop direct reports through the Performance Management process. Coach, delegate and provide training to build skills and continuous learning for employees in alignment with short and long term career goals.
- Identify poor performance, prepare timely development actions and follow up. Implement remedial actions where necessary.
- Ensure compliance by the teams with all administrative policies, procedures, Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs), expense management, car policy and code of conduct
Business Planning, Selling and Negotiation
- Develop coverage plans for the assigned areas: clinic classification, coverage, penetration within the clinics, frequency, optimal routes. Set call productivity goals by territory, communicate expectations to TMs, review actual versus targets at least monthly and align action plan with each TM.
- Develop area business plans and support TMs to develop clinic actions to achieve territory / district objectives.
- Partner with external customer operations managers and respective Business Account Manager (BAM) to build relationships, align on key KPIs, and develop/implement specific activities
- Demonstrate expertise in selling/negotiating and managing complex customer situations
- Manage district Gross to Net (GTN) budget to execute RE/brand strategy through prioritization of customers to achieve targets, effectively balancing the needs of customers and Hill’s overall commercial objectives. Ensure a return on investment mindset throughout the field team.
- Ensure Distribution policy implementation and compliance to commercial selling principles
Integrated Customer Engagement
- Understand customers’ strategies, priorities and needs that impact in-store/ clinic execution and take them into consideration when building commercial plans
- Ensure TMs prepare business plans by clinic, present and agree with clinic / store decision makers and review business performance at least quarterly
- Keep abreast of trends in the pet/vet trade, industry, represent Hill’s as the strategic choice and participate in local trade conferences
- Consistently deliver the fundamentals of customer engagement requirements and leverage business analytics to drive fact-based conversations and enhance credibility.
- Liaise with business partners including warehousing, customer fulfillment, the customer service center, Business Development Managers (BDMs), BAMs, etc. Elevate issues / opportunities when barriers challenge achieving business results.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of 7 years prior sales experience
- Minimum of 3 years key account management experience
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft office required
- Ability to travel up to 75% of the time including overnight stays
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift, push or pull up to 50 pounds
- 5 or more years of people management experience, managing field sales professionals
- Experience in animal health or science related field (CPG for Pet DM's)
- Ability to relocate for future opportunities
- Excellent communication, relationship building, and presentation skills, highly competitive, tenacious, and self-motivated
- Strong selling skills. Ability to persuade, negotiate and close
- Excellent time management, planning skills and managing budgets
- Ability to lead and inspire a district team
- Strong analytical skills and basic understanding of business and business terminology
- Good work ethic, professional appearance and approach, high integrity
- Highly competitive pay
- Great employee, domestic partner, and family benefits that start the first day of employment
- Retirement Savings & Investment Plan with company contributions and matching
- Annual education/tuition reimbursement up to $10,000
- 14 paid holidays and annual vacation
- World-class training and development opportunities
- Highly professional, ethical, and caring environment
Hill’s District Managers also enjoy:
- Fully paid company vehicle
- 27.5% target bonus
- Company provided home office equipment, laptop, and iPad
Equal Opportunity Employer
Colgate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by law.